I was attracted to this book by 2 things: There was a going out of business sale at Borders. I love books about trying to knit your dream. For the author, it was the Mary Tudor sweater by Alice Starmore. So, I had myself all setup for crack-me-up, pee-in-your pants antics.
While there was some of that, it seemed like she spent 2/3 of the book explaining copyright issues with Alice Starmore's name and patterns. A brief synopsis would have done, but I got the whole gosh darn encyclopedia. Good Lord! Then the never ending quest for the yarn, the color card comparison, etc., etc., etc. as Yul Brenner would say.
Then there was the ultimate philosopical question:"If I change any of my techniques or alter the yarn even a tiny bit, am I still making a Starmore?" WHO THE HECK FREAKIN' CARES?! Just get on with the book! Then she had the audacity go around the country and explore that very same question with every knitting rockstar she could corner. Stephanie Pearl McPhee, The Mason Dixon Girls, the mind reels.
So, in short, I just couldn't wait for the book to end. I would give it 2 stars.
Popular Posts
-
Well, folks, on and back to my knitterly life. In the midst of all the chaos of preparing to move, I managed to make myself some fingerless ...
-
I had my eye out on this shawl since I started following Julie Crawford’s blog, knittedbliss. I was just looking for the right color contras...
-
First, another shout out to Julie Crawford, of http://knittedbliss.com , for her recent pattern publish in knitty . It seems like a lovely r...
-
Well, I would like to start out by saying,"Welcome to my first blog!" I spent many an hour agonizing over what I would talk about ...
-
I have been in and out of town for a while. A long while. Every 3 weeks. And I have been working on a shawl and making very little headway....
-
I was slow to join the party. So I have 2 more topics so that I will have 5 topics to have covered for the 5 days of the week that have gone...
-
Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acqu...
-
This is the Chloe, a pattern by Alana Dakos. I am always partial to her patterns, as I think that they are clever, well-written, pretty, and...
-
I thought that I would give a brief review to The Fibre Company's Road to China Light yarn. Typically this would be done in the Wednesda...
-
It turns out that I did have one new development. I finished the Molly Beret by Alana Dakos. I made it for my friend Lindsay in the violet a...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment